Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pride, a first draft

I've been thinking about this one. I think I may write an extended note about it. See, each unit has certain key things that you have to have. For the 82nd, its graduating airborne school. For tenth mountain, it is combat patch and CIB. I s...uspect it may be air assault for 101st. I know it is ranger school for ranger bat. If you don't have this, you really aren't a member of the group. You don't have the right to an opinion, and you are basically an E-1. The interesting thing is this: with a combat patch and CIB, someone has spent at least a year deployed, seen combat, and come back. So, the people who have it probably deserve to be respected, and the people who don't probably deserve to listen. For airborne school, its a 2 week school, being macho and tough. It shows you are brave enough to jump out of a plane, but says nothing about what you know. For air assault, replace 2 weeks with 10 days and plane with helicopter. So where our respected elders are combat veterans, the respected elders at 82nd and 101 are 19 year olds who got out of basic last month.
Thats my best guess, and why I asked about air assault: if Jay doesn't have it, he may get a lot of social stigmata because of it. Just my thoughts for the day.

The 82nd is the only Airborne unit. You can be Airborne qualified, but they are the only unit that way. And they are trained from the day they get to the unit that ONLY THEY ARE REAL SOLDIERS, BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE WAS TOO AFRAID TO GO AIRB...ORNE. Actually, Airborne is an Army school, and for the rest of us, most of us do not get the opportunity to go, just as I don't get to go to SERE school or culinary school. The same indoctrination program is given to the 101st, because of AIR ASSAULT! They are taught that they are the ULTIMATE KILLING MACHINES because of some shit they did three months after joining the Army.
At Drum, there are standards of excellence that we wear. The CIB, the Combat Patch, the EIB, the Ranger Tab. But they require AT LEAST one year to get one. Some may take three or four years. And anything you did in basic? DONT TELL US. WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU DID IN BASIC. Basic = kindergarten. You get to Drum, you learn EVERYTHING you have done so far was easy, so be quiet and learn for a year or two before you start mouthing off. The guys at the 101st and 82nd get taught YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE KILLING MACHINE, BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE IN THE ARMY, BECAUSE OF YOUR TWO WEEK/TEN DAY SCHOOL. ALL OTHERS ARE COWARDS WHO STILL SUCK AT THEIR MOTHERS TIT.
So, that's my analysis of why those two units are the way they are.
Yes, at Drum, after being there for four years, earning my combat patch and my CIB, and working on the other two, I am pretty cocky. I've also done a few things, and I know when to be humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment